Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Endlessly Cheering

I honestly completely forgot about my addiction to National Geographic's WildCam Africa until today... and I am rehooked. From where I am in Los Angeles/Southern California, it's about a 23 hour time difference, so as I write this, preparing for bed, the day is dawning on the savannah. The birds are singing, and it sounds exquisitely different from what you experience here. Two impala are nibbling on a bush, and a baboon tribe are playing and fighting. Birds I can't identify are sunning themselves as a stork pokes around in the shallows. They keep a wary eye out for a croc, but it looks like it's all clear from here. On other days, I've seen elephants stopping for a drink, and the distinctive eye shine of lions at night.

When you stop and think about it, it is pretty damn amazing that I can be watching live footage from an African watering hole and grow sleepy to the sound of birds half a world away. These are places I can only dream of visiting one day, but for right now, I can feel like I'm there. I think this is especially valuable to those of us who can't travel so easily, due to CF or other chronic illnesses.

There are some other cameras as well, but none I watch quite so religiously as WildCam Africa. It must be the zoology nerd in me, but it's so fascinating. I can watch absolutely nothing happen on the camera for hours. Without much further ado...

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/wildcamafrica/

I hope someone gets as much joy out of this as I do.

1 comment: